Battling to keep up with your content production system?
Struggling to manage multiple projects and collaborate successfully with your team members?
You’re not the only one – many content marketers (including myself) have faced similar challenges.
Fortunately, there are helpful tools out there that can get you back on track by making your workflow more efficient and reducing stress levels.
This article showcases the 9 best content planning tools that allow you to plan, compose and execute your content marketing campaigns.
From project management applications to content calendar planners, here’s an all-encompassing rundown of each tool including information on pricing and our final thoughts regarding every product.
Disclosure: If you purchase through my links on this website, I may receive a commission, which helps support my website at no additional cost to you.
What are Content Planning Tools?
Content planning tools are a really good way to make sure your content marketing campaigns stay on track every step of the way.
These applications allow for streamlined brainstorming, task assignment, organizing content ideas, managing calendars, and much more – so you save time without sacrificing quality.
And with a single platform to keep everything in order, you can rest easy knowing that all elements of your campaign have been addressed carefully and efficiently.
By using these tools, you can gain insight and analyze online conversations, accurately pinpoint your target audience, and produce content that resonates with them.
How to Choose the Best Content Planning Tools
Selecting the best content planning tool for your business requirements can be overwhelming with all of the options available.
To make it easier to decide, here are a few key elements you should take into account:
Before you choose a content planning tool, make sure that your content marketing strategy is in place.
Take the time to figure out what types of content appeal to your target audience and how best to promote it across all channels.
Having these steps mapped out will put you on the right track for success with any content planning solution.
When choosing a content planning tool, price should be taken into account.
Think about what you’re willing to invest in a content planning tool and identify which features are non-negotiable for your business needs.
Consider how your team would benefit from the most efficient working environment.
Should a system be put in place that allows multiple content creators to work together on one page, or is there an easier way with drag-and-drop tools?
Take time to research which tools are necessary for optimal collaboration if you want to reach peak productivity and success in your workplace.
To ensure your content marketing campaigns are successful, explore tools that offer the essential features you need.
A few of these may encompass a content calendar, task management system, collaboration options, and keyword research capabilities.
What are the Best Content Planning Tools?
- Notion – Best All-in-one solution
- Wrike – Best Enterprise-level Project Management
- Trello – Best for Visual task Management
- CoSchedule – Best Integrated Content Planning Tool
- Asana – Best for Team Collaboration
- Monday.com – Best for Customizable Workflows
- Airtable – Best for Flexible Database Management
- Google Sheets – Best Affordable Content Planning Tool
- ClickUp – Best for Versatile Project Management
Now that we’ve covered what content planning tools are and how to choose the best one, let’s get into our top picks for 2023.
(Best All-In-One Solution)
With Notion, you get an all-in-one workspace that simplifies note-taking, managing projects, creating content, and brainstorming ideas.
It helps to streamline your workflows while being powerful enough to meet all of your productivity needs.
Many content marketers like myself are leveraging Notion to create content, simplify collaboration, and create templates according to specific objectives.
- Create Customizable Templates that can be used for content planning, project management, or tasks.
- Organize team members, pages, permissions, and overall collaboration with Teamspace creation.
- Compatible across different platforms and devices including Desktop, iOS & Android.2.
- Robust database features allow you to create tables, lists, or calendars that help you stay organized.
- Rich media integration such as videos, images, and audio so you can create engaging content right within the platform.
- Notion Ai can help optimize and automate your workflows using text recognition and populating database templates.
Notion offers both free and paid pricing plans
Free – Free plan with limited features
Plus – $8/per user/month (Billed annually)
Business – $15/per user/month (Billed annually)
Enterprise – Custome pricing (Contact Sales)
Notion is ideal for content marketers who need a versatile tool that can be used for more than just a content planner.
With its simple user interface, customization options, and collaboration features, this software is a great all-in-one choice.
(Best Enterprise-Level Project Management)
Wrike is a project management solution that allows convenient collaboration and task management for content marketers who have to handle complex projects with multiple members.
Its resource planning hierarchy system allows you to easily organize tasks, collaborate on projects, and track progress by using Wrike’s pre-built reports.
- You can delegate tasks to your team members and take control with Gantt charts or list-style views.
- Content calendar planner to keep a consistent flow of published content to build awareness.
- Seamlessly streamline your workflow experience with integrations to popular third-party tools such as Google Drive, Salesforce, and Slack.
- Custom request forms and project templates are available to increase efficiency.
- Its automation system will streamline processes and cut out manual tasks for you.
Wrike offers the following pricing and plans:
Free – $0 with limited features
Team – $9.80/per user/month
Business – $24.80/per user/month
Enterprise – Custom pricing for larger enterprises
Pinnacle – Custom pricing for intricate work needs
Wrike has 14-day free trial.
Although Wrike can work for businesses of any size, it’s a robust tool that excels at managing complex projects for larger enterprises.
It has advanced reporting tools and customizable dashboards that simplify workflows going beyond general work management.
(Best for Visual Tasks Management)
Streamlined and easy to use, Trello is a great productivity tool for organizing your content planning endeavors.
It leverages a visual system of boards, lists, and cards that can be customized to fit your specific workflow.
With Trello, you can easily delegate tasks, set deadlines, and monitor progress in real-time.
- A highly visual and user-friendly tool with boards, lists, and cards to help you stay organized.
- Collaborate with your team in real-time, assign tasks, set deadlines, and keep track of progress all within the platform.
- From Slack to Google Drive and Dropbox, Trello’s integration with multiple apps make it an effortless addition to your existing workflow.
- With Trello, you have the flexibility to tailor-make fields, labels, and protocols that meet your individual needs and workflows.
- Trello’s mobile app lets you stay connected so you can manage your tasks and projects from anywhere.
Trello offers the following plans and pricing:
Free – $0 with limited features
Standard – $5/per user/month (billed annually)
Premium – $10/per user/month (billed annually)
Enterprise – Starts at $17.50/month depending on the number of users (billed annually)
Trello is a great choice for teams who need a simple and flexible content planning tool.
With its simple drag-and-drop interface and visual approach, even the newest users can quickly learn to utilize it effectively.
It’s one of the most affordable collaboration tools that allow you to manage anything from content marketing to personal to-do lists.
(Best Integrated Content Planning Tool)
CoSchedule is an innovative content planning platform designed to make the entire process of creating, organizing, and marketing your content simpler.
It’s a comprehensive solution that can help you get more done in less time.
It includes a variety of features, such as task organization, content calendar planning, and scheduling social media postings along with analytics, this platform offers exceptional tools for your business needs.
- Coschedule’s editorial calendar lets you coordinate blog posts, social media updates, and email campaigns with ease.
- Includes social media management tools that allow you to craft and share content on various platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
- CoSchedule’s custom analytics tracking tags make it simple to gain in-depth insights that will help you optimize your content marketing strategy.
- Its collaboration tools will help you seamlessly communicate with teammates, exchange feedback, and monitor projects.
- The Headline Studio tool allows you to analyze and refine your headlines for better engagement and more clicks.
Coschedule offers the following plans and pricing:
Free Marketing Calendar – $0 Forever
Pro Marketing Calendar – $29/per user/month
Marketing Suite – Contact sales for pricing
Overall, this is an integrated tool for planning content that comes with strong features like headline analysis and custom analytics tracking tags.
If you’re a business looking to revamp your content marketing and boost productivity, this is an ideal solution.
(Best for Team Collaboration)
Asana is a great tool for team collaboration and project management. It helps keep everything organized in one place so that no one loses track of anything.
With a user-friendly interface and straightforward navigation, you don’t need to be a tech whiz to use this system.
With this platform, you can easily stay in contact with your team members without having to send endless emails back and forth.
- The “Visual Workflow Builder” will connect your team to streamline projects within the platform to keep organized.
- Asana gives you the option to organize and view your work in a way that fits with your preferences, including four project views: board, list, timeline, and calendar.
- Stay up-to-date with timely project data, generate personalized reports tailored to your needs, and monitor work progress as it develops.
- Improved communication with workflow approval forms, task automation rules, feedback likes, centralized inbox, and project briefs for context.
- With custom fields, you can simply track anything apart from tasks like clients, budgets or any type of campaign.
Asana offers the following pricing and plans:
Basic – Free forever
Premium – $10.99/per user/month (billed annually)
Business – $24.99/per user/month (billed annually)
Asana Enterprise – Custom pricing (contact sales)
Asana is a nice tool that simplifies collaboration between you and your team.
It comes equipped with some truly noteworthy features such as forms to assign tasks, approvals for consensus building, and the option to “like” work done by others.
Additionally, project briefs offer handy context so each team member knows exactly why their task matters.
(Best for Customizable Workflows)
If you’re after content planning software that empowers your team with customizable workflows, allowing for seamless collaboration, then monday.com might be your go-to.
Monday.com offers versatility to fulfill your team and individual needs, whether you’re managing a project or organizing personal tasks.
- Asana’s automation feature is a timesaver, allowing you to automate tedious tasks and devote your energy to more critical work.
- The Kanban view can help you prioritize tasks and manage workloads to ensure that your project objectives are met promptly.
- Asana’s form capabilities allow you to track work requests and delegate tasks with ease.
- Easily monitor the progress and dependencies of your projects with Asana’s Gantt view, allowing you to adjust and stay ahead of important milestones.
- You can streamline workflows with docs to foster real-time collaboration and keep everyone updated on the progress of a project.
Monday.com offers the following pricing and plans:
Individual – Free forever
Basic – Starts at $8/per seat/month (billed annually)
Standard – Starts at $10/per seat/month (billed annually)
Pro – Starts at 16/per seat/month (billed annually)
Enterprise – Custom pricing (contact sales)
Monday.com offers you the best of both worlds – highly customizable workflows to streamline your processes and easy-to-use collaboration tools to maximize efficiency.
Monday.com is an inexpensive choice for teams of all sizes, with pricing starting at only $8 per user a month.
(Best for Flexible Database Management)
Airtable is a tool that allows you to easily craft collaborative applications without needing extensive coding knowledge.
It provides a comprehensive database system that allows you to quickly manage, share, and collaborate on data.
Airtable’s customizable workflows, templates, and integrations will help you personalize it to fit your business requirements.
- Create custom interfaces using Airtable’s intuitive drag-and-drop tool.
- Customize and organize your reports with Airtable’s user-friendly, no-code platform.
- You can quickly see how your data correlates to certain dates, and work with the rest of your team to guarantee that everyone is up to date.
- Sync your projects with popular tools like Slack, Google Drive, and Trello.
- Streamline your workflows with automated processes that feature personalized triggers and actions.
Airtable offers the following plans and pricing:
Plus – $10/per seat/month (billed annually)
Pro – $20/per seat/month (billed annually)
Enterprise – Custome pricing (contact sales)
If you need a highly adjustable and individualized tool for database organization, Airtable is an ideal platform.
Its user-friendly interface makes it simple to use across industries, while its powerful features make information collaboration effortless.
(Best Affordable Content Planning Tool)
As someone who has worked with content teams, I can tell you that Google Sheets makes it easy to collaborate on data in real-time.
It allows you to import and export data from multiple sources, create and share spreadsheets, and automate tasks with add-ons.
It’s simple enough to get started and work on your projects from anywhere.
- Supercharge teamwork with built-in intelligence and assistive features like Smart Fill and formula suggestions.
- You can connect seamlessly to other Google apps like Google Calendar and enhance productivity.
- Employ the most up-to-date information, as well as necessary data from other resources to power your work.
- Safeguard yourself by ensuring encryption, compliance, privacy controls, and tailoring a plan that meets your needs.
- You can integrate Google Analytics right within Google Sheets to easily analyze data and gain valuable insights.
Google Sheets offers the following plans and pricing:
Personal – Free
Business Standard – $12/per user/month
While Google Sheets may not have all the bells and whistles of a dedicated content planner tool, it doesn’t mean it can’t get the job done.
If you need a straightforward and effective system for managing content ideas, organizing your content calendar, or simply planning out posts, it’s an affordable and simple solution.
(Best Versatile Project Management Tool)
ClickUp goes beyond just a typical project management and content planning tool. It has unique capabilities of its own.
Not only does it contain Gantt charts and Kanban boards, but also offers innovative features such as Goals, Mind Maps, and custom views that can be tweaked to meet any team’s requirements.
- You can visually brainstorm ideas and thoughts with the shareable Mind Map.
- ClickUp’s Everything view provides a comprehensive overview of all your tasks, providing clarity across Spaces and Lists.
- You can Customize your task management with over 35+ ClickApps, including task Automations, Sprint Points, Custom Fields, and more.
- ClickUp’s Chat view lets you stay connected with your team, providing real-time communication and collaboration capabilities.
- Marketing agencies can streamline marketing objectives by staying organized with tasks, campaigns, documents, and clients.
When it comes to a versatile project management tool, Clickup works nicely.
With its customizable task management, Gantt charts, content calendars, mind maps, chat views, and more, you’ll have a smooth and effective workflow.
As someone who has used ClickUp during my SEO apprenticeship with a marketing agency, I found it to be an efficient collaboration tool that helped me keep track of my assigned tasks and those of my team members.
For a successful content planning workflow in 2023, you’ll need the right tool to help get the job done.
As I mentioned earlier, explore your options thoroughly – consider each one’s pricing structure, ease of use, and user-specific features you require for planning and marketing success.
Whether it’s social media content planning, optimizing marketing, or task tracking, having the right tool can make all the difference in ensuring productivity and success.
With an effective plan in place, expect to streamline processes even further while staying organized during the content creation process and campaigns that drive superior results.
Thanks for reading and good luck!
Have you used any of these content planning tools? Which tools work best for you?
I’d love to know your thoughts down below!