Wondering how to learn digital marketing in 2023?
Are you an aspiring digital marketer seeking a career change or dreaming of starting your own online business?
Perhaps you’re stuck in a job you hate, longing for freedom to work remotely or on your own terms.
Imagine a world where you break free from those chains and unlock the power to design your own destiny.
Let me tell you something: you hold the key to a world of endless possibilities.
Digital marketing can transform your career trajectory or lead to entrepreneurship.
Whether creating content, managing campaigns, or developing strategies, there’s a huge demand for digital marketers.
With the right skills and determination, you can join this growing industry.
This post outlines some key strategies for learning digital marketing in 2023, so you can be equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to transform your career path into a truly fulfilling and exciting opportunity.
First, what is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is about promoting products, services, and brands online.
It’s like a symphony of strategies and techniques orchestrated to grab attention, get people engaged, and move the needle.
But unlike traditional marketing, which includes billboards, TV ads, direct mail, or print ads, digital marketing can be a powerful way to target potential customers with tailored messaging and content.
Here are some of the main components of digital marketing:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Improve your website’s search engine visibility by optimizing its content, structure, and technical aspects to get organic traffic and rank higher.
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Advertising: Run targeted online advertising campaigns where you pay only when someone clicks. You can reach potential customers precisely with platforms like Google Ads.
- Social Media Marketing: Engage and connect with your target audience through social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Make compelling content, run ads, and build a community.
- Content Marketing: Make content that’s valuable and relevant, like blog posts, videos, podcasts, and infographics. Tell captivating stories and establish your brand as an authority.
- Email Marketing: Drive conversions and nurture leads with email campaigns. Engage your subscribers with personalized, compelling messages.
- Influencer Marketing: Collaborate with influential individuals in your industry or niche to promote your products or services. Partnering with influencers can expand your reach and tap into their loyal fan base.
- Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO): Drive more visitors to your website and landing pages to convert, such as making a purchase, filling out a form, or signing up for a newsletter.
- Analytics and Data Insights: Gain valuable insights about your audience, track campaign performance, and make data-driven decisions for better results.
You have lots of options in digital marketing. Your strengths and interests will emerge as you explore these specializations.
You’ll also discover the vibrant world of digital creators, visionaries who use their creativity to shape engaging digital experiences.
Why learn Digital Marketing in 2023?
There’s never been a better time to learn digital marketing.
According to LinkedIn, the “Digital Marketing Specialist” role is going to be among the top 10 most in-demand jobs, with 860,000 job openings.
I mean, it’s like a gold rush out there; you just need to grab the right tools and start digging, and when you dig, here’s what you’ll find:
- High Demand and Career Opportunities: Digital marketing skills are in high demand, and learning them opens up a wide range of career options for you.
- Lucrative Earning Potential: As a digital marketing professional, you can earn competitive salaries. The average Digital Marketing Manager’s salary in the United States is $120,928.
- Flexibility and Remote Work Options: You can unlock remote capability, which gives you a better work-life balance.
- Continuous Growth and Learning: Digital marketing is dynamic and constantly changing. Keeping up with the latest trends and technologies will keep your skills relevant.
- Entrepreneurial Opportunities: You have the opportunity to start your own business or work as a freelancer and reach more people by understanding digital marketing strategies.
Think about the contemporary world we live in. Technological and societal shifts are always in motion.
This means there will be a need for professionals who can effectively use online channels to drive business goals.
With the vast array of components in digital marketing, companies will need experts to help them navigate it.
How to learn digital marketing in 2023 (4 Steps).
Step 1: Understand the fundamentals.
Learn digital marketing basics to understand the industry – I did this myself.
You’ll learn the latest trends and strategies from them.
You can also meet like-minded people and learn from experienced professionals by joining a digital marketing community like Growth Hackers.
Of course, we can’t leave out “YouTube University”. Subscribe to channels like Neil Patel to get the latest digital marketing tips and tricks.
The point is that there’s a wealth of information out there to benefit from.
Keep learning and growing your knowledge base by taking advantage of the resources available.
And while digital marketing is always evolving, there are also some timeless principles that still apply, like creating content that adds value to your audience.
Step 2: Take an online course.
Once you understand the basics, take an online course. There are plenty of them out there, but here’s how to make the most of this step:
1. Considering your goals and learning style:
Before taking a course, consider your goals and learning style.
Looking to specialize in SEO, social media marketing, or content creation? Are you a self-paced learner?
The right course for you depends on your learning preferences and objectives.
2. Find Reputable Online Platforms:
Whether you’re a free or paid user, these platforms provide access to expert-led courses.
As a starting point, I took a free course certificate offered by Google, “Google Digital Garage”.
Then I embarked on taking a more comprehensive course like the “Full-Stack Digital Marketing Class” by Rich and Niche, which offered an immersive, interactive, and transformative experience that extended beyond just watching videos.
3. Check out reviews and course outlines:
Look at reviews from other learners. These people can give you a good sense of the course’s quality, how knowledgeable the instructors are, and how practical the content is.
Reviewing the course outline will give you an overview of the topics covered, so you know they’re aligned with your goals.
You have to build a learning journey that forms a solid foundation for your digital marketing education and career development.
Like building a house, you have to make sure the foundation is solid, the walls are framed correctly, and the roof is strong enough to last a long time.
Step 3: Gain Practical Experience
I think this is the most critical step of all.
You have to put into practice what you learn, because here’s the thing: Without action, all the knowledge and information in the world is USELESS.
If you don’t practice it, you won’t get results. And in digital marketing, results are the ultimate feedback mechanism, whether they are good or bad.
So how can you get practical experience? It’s pretty simple.
Build your own website.
Through launching your own website, you’ll get hands-on experience in areas such as design, content, SEO, and user experience (UX).
All you need is a domain, hosting, and a website builder.
You don’t need to know how to code to build a website. Best of all, the cost of launching and running a website isn’t expensive.
Ultimately, your website can be your digital marketing canvas, where you practice building and breaking things.
Start a blog.
It opens the door to content creation, user engagement, social media promotion, and analytics tracking. This was how I gained the most hands-on experience.
And if you’re worried about not having a service or product to promote, you can always become an affiliate marketer.
This means you promote other people’s products and services in a specific niche and get a commission for each successful sale.
You don’t need to create products, just drive traffic to the merchant website.
Starting your own blog will help you become an SEO expert, as you write SEO-optimized articles and try to rank higher in search engines.
You can even set up email lists so people can subscribe to your content, allowing you to utilize email marketing.
You’ll naturally develop a full-stack of digital marketing skills when creating your own blog.
Become an apprentice.
Apprenticeships offer a structured learning experience where you can learn from professionals and participate in real marketing campaigns.
Not only will you build valuable digital marketing skills, but it’ll also help you craft a solid portfolio to showcase to other potential employers.
You can join the Acadium platform as I did and work alongside a mentor for 3 months. (See my full Acadium review).
Volunteer for non-profit organizations.
Help non-profit organizations with digital marketing. You can gain real-world experience, collaborate with others, and make a positive impact.
Get in touch with local organizations to see what they need.
Help them create a budget for digital marketing or offer your services free of charge.
There are even non-profit organizations online like VolunteerMatch that can help you find great opportunities to volunteer your skills.
Give friends and family digital marketing help.
Maybe you have some family members or friends that are business owners and could use some digital marketing help.
Think about the people who serve you, like your barber, mechanic, or local restaurant.
Even if you aren’t the most experienced, just being one step ahead of them is enough.
Whether it’s just helping them set up their Google Business Profile, or taking them out for a coffee and offering advice and support, it can go a long way.
Step 4: Continuous Learning and Skill Development
You have to embrace a mindset of continuous learning and development in digital marketing to stay on top.
It just doesn’t end, but that’s the beauty of it.
There are ENDLESS opportunities for learning and developing your skills.
Here’s how to nurture your digital marketing growth:
- Stay curious: Discover new ideas, techniques, and trends. Ask questions, look for resources, and dive into digital marketing as much as you can.
- Try Creative Strategies: Innovation and creativity are key to digital marketing. Experiment with different strategies and don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
- Adapt to Changes: New technologies, platforms, and consumer behaviors emerge constantly in the digital landscape. Adapt to industry changes and stay agile. Try new tools, tactics, and strategies.
- Digital marketing communities: Meet like-minded professionals. Exchange ideas in forums, LinkedIn groups, and online discussions. Networking and learning from others is great.
- Keep up with industry trends: Digital marketing is fast-paced. Follow reputable blogs, industry publications, podcasts, and thought leaders to stay on top of trends and strategies.
Digital marketing is a journey of constant growth and evolution.
I am still learning about this awesome and dynamic industry as much as I can!
Challenge yourself to think creatively, and adapt to the ever-changing digital landscape.
If you’re constantly learning and developing, you’ll stay ahead of the curve in this dynamic field.
Can I learn digital marketing on my own?
You can learn digital marketing alone. You can get the knowledge and skills you need from numerous online resources, courses, and tutorials.
But with that said, it’s still helpful to join a community of like-minded people.
This way you can ask questions, engage in helpful conversations, and network.
What do I need to learn about digital marketing?
Digital marketing involves different aspects of promoting products and services online.
You’ll want to learn search engine optimization (SEO), social media marketing, content marketing, email marketing, paid advertising, analytics, and more.
The more you know, the better. Now, that doesn’t mean you’ll know everything at once or be an expert in all of these areas.
It’s OK to start with one or two and build your knowledge from there.
Focus on the skills you are most interested in and become an expert in them first.
Is digital marketing easy to learn?
Digital marketing isn’t complicated to learn but it can be challenging when starting out.
As with most things in life, it takes dedication, consistent learning, and hands-on practice. Do that, and you’re golden.
How long does it take to learn digital marketing?
There isn’t a one size fits all answer because it depends on what you already know, how fast you learn, and how deep you want to go.
It could take 6 months to a year to have a solid understanding of digital marketing.
But remember, there is always something new to learn, so the journey is never-ending.
How do I become a digital marketer with no experience?
You can start by self-learning with online resources and free courses if you have no experience.
Work on personal projects or offer your services to small businesses to build a portfolio.
Also, networking, attending industry events, and getting certifications can help you get an entry-level position in digital marketing.
Is it too late to learn digital marketing?
This is almost like asking if it’s too late to learn how to use the internet.
No, it is never too late to learn digital marketing!
As digital marketing evolves, there’s always a need for skilled people.
Where can I learn digital marketing for free?
Many platforms let you learn digital marketing for free, like Google Digital Garage, HubSpot Academy, Facebook Blueprint, and LinkedIn Learning.
These platforms offer free courses, tutorials, and resources for digital marketers.
We’ve explored some ways how to learn digital marketing in 2023 including understanding the basics, taking courses, getting certified, getting hands-on experience, and ongoing development.
As someone who has walked this path myself, I understand the excitement and challenges.
In the beginning, I took free courses like Google Digital Garage, built my own blog, and did a real-world apprenticeship.
My experience has shaped my knowledge and ignited my passion for digital marketing.
Aspiring marketers and entrepreneurs like you will benefit greatly from digital marketing in 2023 and beyond.
The key to navigating the dynamic digital landscape is to understand the fundamentals, acquire practical skills, and stay up to date.
So, embrace curiosity, experiment fearlessly, and keep that knowledge hunger alive.
Go out there, grab the opportunities, and unleash your digital marketing prowess.
Make your future what you want it to be.
What inspired you to embark on your digital marketing journey? Have you faced any notable challenges or celebrated successes along the way?
Share your experiences and thoughts down below!